Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Markets

Hi





This is my first time to Bangkok - going on Tuesday. We only have 3 days en route to Australia.





I have previously asked about the best place to buy silk bags, but I actually want about 60. I have read about the wholesale markets and wonder if this would be the best place to buy them.





Where are they and how would I get there? We are staying at the Marriott Resort.





Also any other must sees for our trip?





Thanks for any help.



Markets


For your onward trip to Australia, make sure you are aware of Australia%26#39;s customs requirements in respect of commercial quantities of goods - if you do not declare them to customs, you run a significant risk of confiscation.



Markets


Thanks, I hadn%26#39;t even thought of that.





They are for my sisters wedding favours!




Check Chatuchak weekend market at Mochit BTS Station. I saw a lot silk stuff there but I don%26#39;t know about quality. I%26#39;m not good at this.




Hi





if buying that many have them shipped don%26#39;t carry them in luggage





check the internet for wholesale and locations in bangkok..befroe you go





ask the conceigee at your hotel. when you get there.




Hi Sraj





I may be thinking the wrong thing but are you refering to the small organza draw string type bags that some people put sugared almonds in ?





If so don%26#39;t stress in Bangkok -the can be found in most ';$2'; shops in Sydney. A pack of 4 - 5 will be about $2 aussie dependng on size and colour.





If not the same thing -sorry !





P:)




Thanks for all your suggestions.





I would have gone to the weekend market, but unfortunately leave on Friday.





It%26#39;s not the organza bags, I know the ones you mean. When I was in Singapore last year I got quite large silk bags, 3 for S$10. That works out at aprox 拢1 each and it was those I was thinking of.





I think I will try the wholesale markets and also Chinatown.



What do you think?




Taxis are cheap in Bangkok. Ask for the Platinum Mall. They should know that or failing that, the Pantip Plaza. There is a street market on both sides of the road and into Ratchaprarop. The market runs both sides of the street there and if you walk along to the Indra Regent Hotel/Indra Square (which is on the left). There are many ally ways on your left which enter a maze of shops/stalls.





Follow the road to the left of Indra Square you%26#39;ll see more shops. At the T junction, you%26#39;ll see the 46th floor Baiyoke Suite hotel on your left and a market. Walk through that market and it%26#39;ll take you back to Phetchburi.





Note, Ph is pronounced P in Thai. The area is called Pratunum (pat-oo-num) You should find all you want in that area. The nearest post office to there is if you continue walking past Indra Square along Ratchaprarop, past some railways lines at Makkasan, continue on and under the flyover. On the other side of the road about 100 feet along you%26#39;ll see the post office shop. Careful as it%26#39;s easy to walk past it. Postage on parcels is not cheap.




You won%26#39;t get harrassed by aussie customs for 60 silk bags! You are allowed $900 tax free goods. They won%26#39;t even cost $100. And as they are not for sale you won%26#39;t have any worries. Try China town markets you%26#39;ll sure to get them there.




Thanks everyone.





I may stick to Chinatown. I think it will be easier as time is limited and so much to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment