Friday, April 13, 2012

Arandora-Johnny

Thankyou to both of you for helping convince my husband on holidaying in KL. He has even agreed on 10nights before heading to Patong.

Arandora, thanks for the map site it certainly gave me a good start.

Johnny, thanks for your list of resorts and your phone number. (ha) I hope you were not joking.

Can you tell me if there is much difference between Bang Niang Beach and Nang Thong Beach. By looking at the map they are next door to each other between the town

I am now concentrating on where to stay and have been looking at various resorts. The Le Meridien looks fantastic and I have read that the beach area is the most beautiful being sheltered, so all year swimming is alright (is this correct) only problem, it seems a little out of the way.

So please advise me on your favourite resort locations with their pools and restaurants overlooking the Sea.

In other words help me choose.

Thanks

Glenys

Arandora-Johnny

Hi Glenys,

Being a resident Johnny and Tedkarma, our Local Expert, can comment better on the differences between Bang Niang and Nang Thong beaches. Having only visited and strolled along them, rather than spend any time on either, I found the stretches nearest the Baan Khao Lak (Nang Thong) and the Ramada (Bang Niang) very nice indeed . Nang Thong perhaps a bit more rugged. Both have resorts stretching along them, more on NT than BN. Resorts and other buildings also inland up from each stretch.

Pak Weeb, where the Le Meridien is situated has only 3 resorts, North to South, Le Meridien, the Similana and the Sarojin, oh yes, the delightful little Oaw Thong bungalow resort, behind the 3 restaurants near the Sarojin, with no buildings as such inland to the highway. I would not say it is particularly sheltered and nowhere along the Khao Lak coastline offers all year swimming. By its nature it is both tidal and has currents and certainly during the Wet Season May to October swimming is mostly inadvisable. We were at Le Meridien in early May 2006 and the red flag was out most days. It is more remote than the other two areas, which we didn%26#39;t mind, particularly as we hired a car for all our last holiday.

I have just had a look at the early prices for Le Meridien on AsiaRooms and another site and see that they are up next March/April by 50% on what we paid this year. With the increase in bookings getting back towards the pre Tsunami levels, probably the bargain prices we enjoyed are over. We would be happy to stay at either the Baan Khao Lak or the Ramada, the attraction of the former being that it is within easy walking distance of most restaurants, bars and shops.

Decisions, decisions!

Arandora-Johnny

Thanks Alan,

I have narrowed it down a little to the Baan Khao Lak/Ramada/La Flora or the Mukdara. They seem to be near each other on the map but I suppose that may not be right.

Can I ask a stupid question? Is the sand along the waters edge easy to walk along?

We checked out Bophut beach in Samui a few weeks ago on recommendations and walked along the beach a little way but found it difficult as we were sinking into the sand (like quick sand) and soon had to walk back along the road.

Yes, decisions.

Glenys


Most beaches in the Khao Lak area are quite easy to walk on - I usually walk at least an hour a day on the beach - and I don%26#39;t sink in even though I am not a thin person . . .

Difference between Bang Niang and Nang Thong Beaches?

I like Nang Thong more primarily because of the rocky areas, just more interesting to look at and there is Sunset Beach and the land curving around at the south end.

There is also some decent snorkeling a just a bit out and I think the beach is a bit flatter, thus maybe a bit easier to walk on - and I just find it a bit more interesting.

The rocky areas also tend to offer a wider variety of shells - and they really don%26#39;t interfere with the ease of walking the beach.

But - you really can%26#39;t go wrong - they are both great.


Sand is perfect. Very fine. Not the ';bird seed'; variety you get in some places, although you do get patches of this particularly where mounds of sea shells are depositerd. You need to be careful when you walk inyto the water as there are some stones. Not a lot but becaise water is opaque you can%26#39;t see them. Saw a few people running into the ocean thinking it was as free from stones and rocks as the beach only to get a nasty surprise when the knocked their toes up or stood on a rock. Some parts of the beach where there are inlets you sometimes get that ';sinking feeling'; but it%26#39;s only upto your ankles.

I think this is why we love the KL coastline. It is forever changing and full of character.


Thanks for all your help, your advice is appreciated. KL sounds like heaven and the more I hear the more I cannot wait to get there.

Would I be right that you can easily walk between both beaches?

I have been looking at the Hotel websites and they all look so beautiful and inviting. The Baan Khao Lak resort has been the first to reply to my emails and thanking me on my interest in staying at their resort.

To me, that says alot.

Glenys


Hi Glenys,

We have booked to stay at the BKL in December and I have to say that they have been extremely efficient in responding to my emails.

I too was impressed, gives you a lot of confidence, doesn%26#39;t it

Sarah

xx


Hi Sarah, Yes I agree. When you get friendly response from the questions you ask to either people on trip advisor or the resorts your choosing to stay at, it surely helps when trying to make up your mind.

Ive noticed that Ted has offered to check things out for us (how good is that?)

Id like some comparison to the resorts Ramada/La Flora/Mukdara as well as the Baan Khao Lak. These are the four Ive narrowed it down to. I havent booked anything as yet.

you will be there before me.

Glenys

  • representative of male teenagers
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment