Tuesday, March 27, 2012

down to the nitty gritty, what should I do??

We need to make reservations (or so I%26#39;ve been told)...we want to go to Chaing Mai/Bangkok and a beach (perhaps not phuket) perhaps an island?! Don%26#39;t really know, want something not so touristy -- but places to eat and maybe some entertainment ,with white sandy beaches..... want it all of course, but really can%26#39;t afford it all. I%26#39;m told November books up quick (per a tour agent) and we want to go for 12 - 14 days during the mid/end of November early Dec.

Big Question: do we book ourselves? prices seem to have gone up? Do we go with a tour for flights and hotels and make our own plans? (cause I couldn%26#39;t stand touring on a schedule/with all the same people all the time)? I just don%26#39;t know and time is crunching, somebody tell me what to do??? First timers, little scared, but willing to be scared....

help, where to go what to do on a semi-limited budget.

all of your info is oh-so great thanx to you all

down to the nitty gritty, what should I do??

HI

stop worrying and just do it. LOL

It is your first time to Thailand don%26#39;t try and do it all at once

you will be back.

with just 12 to 14 days I would go to Chaing Mai first for 3 to 5 days then down to beach%26#39;s for 5 to 7 days then finish in Bangkok for 2 to 3 days befor flying home.

you will be going in the start of high season so prices will be higher

for rooms but usually the flights from the US don%26#39;t go up much inless you fly around holidays.

I would check out the Ao Nang area of Krabi not as crowded as Phuket but you can do all or most ofthe same day trips to the Island.s usually faster

If you want white sandy beach%26#39;s you have to go to Islands.

if you can%26#39;t decide then get a big map of thailand and throw a dart where it sticks is where you go LOL

book your flight this weekend then you will be forced to figure out the rest. good luck

down to the nitty gritty, what should I do??

For hotels, one of the websites like hoteltravel.com or asiarooms.com is probably the best bet. I have not looked at prices in the last few months, but I have a few ideas. The last time we were in Chiang Mai (FEB2007) we stayed at the Chiang Mai Plaza for less than 30USD per night, and it was a very decent hotel, particularly for the price. You can find very decent hotels in Chiang Mai for that price.

In Bangkok, we usually stay in a 45-50 USD hotel which meets our needs quite well (Regency Park), and you should be able to find a very decent hotel in the 50-80 USD range, but of course you can spend more.

You should be able to book yourself on the airfare as well. Air Asia is inexpensive, but I have mixed feelings about them. Thai is more expensive, but still reasonable compared with domestic tickets in the USA. 1 2 Go has gotten good reviews, but I have never used them. I have never been able to get the website for Nok to work for me. It is generally cheaper to book domestic airfares over the internet than to buy them from a US travel agent. I believe Air Asia and Nok must be booked by internet.

As far as schedule, my opinion is start and end your trip with a few days in Bangkok, and travel around in the middle. I am ready to hit the sack when I get to BKK before traveling on to other parts, but you kind of have to decide what is best for you. While it is a long flight, the nice thing is that most of the flights from the USA seem to get you into BKK at night, when I am ready for some real (prone) sleep.


A great website to start planning accommodation is www.travelfish.org... you can also see some different islands in my blogs at www.travelblog.org/bloggers/reet

I would recommend you find a nice resort on Ko Lanta on Long Beach or a resort on Thong Nai Pan Noi Beach on Ko Phangan... quieter island with lots of little charming cheap restaurants and bars.. so less commercial than the bigger islands like Phuket and Samui....

Do it all yourself.. its so easy! Book cheap flights for internal flights through www.airasia.com or www.fly12go.com or www.nokair.com

Good luck planning and feel free to email me once you have looked at Travelfish and my blogs!

Reet x

  • sebum
  • dwight howard advice
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment