Saturday, April 21, 2012

Samoeng/ Mae Rim vs. Pai in August

Anyone been to both and care to comment... I want to be away from Chiang Mai for two nights, and am wondering if there is anyway Samoeng/Mae Rim will do, or is Pai really nicer.





Looking to stay in a nice Thai style resort (Bella Villa style) have local cheap spas for massage etc. and have bike rental and elephant/rafting.... Is pai much nicer or would the others do?





This is for August 10th BTW. should I worry that rain might make the trip to Pai too difficult?





Thanks a lot!



Samoeng/ Mae Rim vs. Pai in August


Bella Villa might not be far enough away from Chiang Mai for you and bike riding is difficult because of the steep roads in the area. The Spa there is very nice.





Pai caters mainly to the low budget crowds with lots of western style restaurants, guest houses and pubs. Many people do ride bicycles there. For rafting the company there was found at fault for poor safety equipment, procedures and life vests. One person drowned last year on this rafting trip. One day after the accident I saw their company for sale in the local newspaper.





For rafting we enjoy going to Ob Luang National Park. Ob Luang Gorge is the grand Canyon of Thailand but much smaller. A good 90 minutes from Chiang Mai but well worth the trip.





Aug. will be almost constant rain in the mountains. From my home, 15 kilometers from the mountains, we can see rain starting around 11am daily now in the mountains. It moves down to the valley around 5 PM to where we live. This pattern will stop around early to mid October.





I ride my bike at least 10 kilometers every day near my home between Lamphun and Sangkhampaeng where the rains start in early evening through the night.





Have fun,



Randy and Ning



Samoeng/ Mae Rim vs. Pai in August


Thanks so much Randy!!! you%26#39;re always so helpful... (I was hoping you would reply, but noticed I haven%26#39;t seen you around in a while.)





I was really unclear with my above post so let me clarify.





Bella villa I meant was in Pai (http://www.bellevillaresort.com/pai/index.php)





I am traveling with a wife and baby so I was actually interested in bamboo rafting (wish I could go whitewater... but not this time)





You mention daily rain, would that mean Pai is also rainy daily? if so would Mae Rim/ Samoeng have better weather than that? What would be my best bet for Aug 8-10 that I want to be out of the city and in a more natural surroundings...





I just want a relaxing place to base out of and get massages, find some elephant riding and rafting (bamboo)... With bicycle and motorbike rental nearby (if I have a chance)





Thanks again!!




Just finished taking care of 38 high school students and 6 teachers from th UK for a couple of weeks so no time for TA.





If you are in the mountains it will rain most of the time and Pai is in the mountains.





There is a nice resort in Sangkhampaeng that has a hot springs and beautiful gardens to ride bikes in. Your villa has a private hot springs Jacuzzi and prices are very cheap this time of year. Less chance for rain here and the elephant camps and bamboo rafting are a close 1/2 day trip near by.





Have fun,



Randy and Ning




Would you know the name of the resort? or any info where I can find it?





Thanks so much!!




The name is Roong Aroon Hot Springs resort. It is located about 23 kilometers from Chiang Mai.





Enjoy,



Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment